Brands looking to grow, might consider targeting “The Slacker Generation”.
With all this hype about Baby Boomers and Millennials, marketers have virtually forgotten about a generation that should not be overlooked: Generation X. Born between 1960 and 1980 – now ages 35 to 55-years-old – few marketers seem to be focusing on the demands and needs of this profoundly influential generation.
5 Reasons Brands Should Target Generation X:
1. More Spending Power Than Any Other Generation
- GenX has $125 Billion in spending power
- 29% of estimated net worth dollars and
- 31% of the income dollars in america
2. GenX has the Highest Rate of Brand Loyalty
- 84% are “moderately” to “extremely” brand loyal
- Build a relationship with Gen Xers by consistently offering high-quality products as well as targeted, unique messaging.
- By doing so, you might have a loyal customer for life – eMarketer revealed that four out of 10 consumers in this group stick to brands they like.
3. 81% of Gen Xers shop online
- A recent eMarketer report, “Giving Gen X It’s Due: Analyzing a Market of 65 Million Consumers,” explores this age group and their shopping habits. According to the report, 7 in 10 Gen Xers will make a digital purchase this year.
- And the average Gen Xer spends over $1,900 annually online
- They can do the shopping and read comic books and pay the bills and play video games.
4. Gen Xers want retailers to provide a personalized brand experience
- November 2014 research by IPG Media Lab and Yahoo found that personalized ads boosted brand favorability and purchase intent among all internet users – most notably, the Gen Xers.
- Personalize the brand experience by relating to Gen Xer’s families, health, and their desire to play it safe in all aspects of life.
5. 75% of Gen Xers are happy with their lives
- Generation X has the benefit of possessing the best characteristics of both the boomers and the millennials, and none of the.
- Generation X is pushing back the envelope of old age, through attitude and health, like never before.
- They know how to work hard and we know how to play hard.
- Boomers don’t understand the internet and millennials were raised on it. Generation X created it.
Use Branded Content to Build Real Life Connections
Generation X makes up more than 81 million Americans. Targeting this generation has been a moving target in the past. Targeted ads with a personal touch is the favorable medium among Gen Xers. Personalize the brand experience by relating to Gen Xer’s families, health, and their desire to play it safe in all aspects of life. Offer an enhanced, branded experience at events, stadiums, and racetracks to connect with this demographic. With the highest rate of brand loyalty, Gen Xers become brand ambassadors for life. Sharing the experience with their friends, both online and word-of-mouth.
New Mobile Apps Have Gen Xers Raving
Offering the ability to send personalized offers, time saving tips enhancing Gen Xers lives or their families lives is the key to this generation. New mobile apps such as, the VenueNext first integrated stadium technology app. The app offers fans the ability to place mobile ticket orders, order food from their seats, and monitor bathroom lines. Saving time away from the game and more time with friends and family. Genius!
Generation X is a large market that offers spending power, online shopping savviness, and life-time brand loyalty. Brands that are looking to grow should target this market with personalized ads, offering value to their families.